Pages

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

What is reading good for?

For the past several years, I have done this simple lesson as a way to kick-off my Language Arts classes.

First, I read an article to my students written by actress Becky Wahlstrom (she was in Joan of Arcadia) where she discusses some of the challenges and benefits of reading.  I can't find the article online, and it's from the depths of my files so I can't cite it accurately.

After reading the article, I ask the students to brainstorm a list of the things they use reading for in their daily lives.  They have to answer the question "What is reading good for?"

Together then, I record their responses on a large sheet of paper that I leave up in my classroom for the first few weeks of school.

This always leads us to a discussion on why it is important to learn how to be a good reader, and how reading is important for their lives everyday - not just when they're sitting in LA class.

It's a quick and easy lesson that reminds students we are all readers, in and out of the classroom!



Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment